Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Road to Becoming, Part 2

Lesson2: Determination- Just don't give upThis subject speaks for itself in the sense that we all know the numerous quotes of:






"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."



“There is no chance, no
destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or
control the firm resolve
of a determined soul.”- Ella Wheller


The motivating list goes on. And yep I'm just echoing that they are all true and still apply

Yet it can be easy to get discouraged by various obstacles that get in our path whether they be real or imaginary, seen or unseen.

And though I do not claim to hold all the answers, but would rather share insight of personal experience and what I have come to learn for myself.
First of all, I have discovered that no one ever said our persistent efforts had to be graceful or perfect! (and if there is a quote out there, I haven't looked for it)
It is at this point that i would like to illustrate my second example, which is more of a culinary escapade.
If there was a certain "tact" or "common sense" to be had about the kitchen, unfortunately at the expense of much of my mother's cookware, I was not one to posses it.
About the age of 14 I had successfully destroyed and caused the elimination of 3 of my mother's pots and pans. For this reason I was in a sense, banned from the kitchen. I say "in a sense" because for some reason, a short while later I found myself in the kitchen cooking a can of tomato soup. When I returned I found my soup and the pot in a similar condition as this photo:
















I was terrified as I began to realize the potential consequences of this disaster. Not knowing what to do and in desperation to hide the incriminating efforts before anyone got home, I ran outside and threw the pot into the woods as far as I could throw.

It was at this point that I succumbed to the label, as anyone would in my situation, that "I could not cook."

So I know this is a silly and simple example. But the point is this; So often we define success as beyond our reach. We build up a negative resume for why we are not qualified to become more than we are. But if we can turn our focus to our desires, rather than failed attempts and disasters. we can achieve and become.





In the Bible, Jesus tells us of a parable of the Talents. This parable has taught me that God gives all of us gifts. And it is up to us to use them to seek more to learn and grow and become. But ultimately it takes courage to try and to even pick ourselves back up and not quit when we fail.

I love this talk given by President Uchtdorf from the General Relief Society Broadcast in October 2008 entitled, "Happiness, Your Heritage."


He addresses how we as women can undermind our capacity to become, and can choose to focus too much on what is lacking and become discouraged.


I know that God wants us to be happy. I know that as we seek to look for the good that is within us, anything is possible. Just NEVER GIVE UP! I think President Uchtdorf says it best:


"What you create doesn't have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are
greasy and the toast is burnt? Don't let the fear of failure discourage you. Don't let the voice of critics paralyze you- Whether that voice comes from the outside or
the inside."









1 comment: